Green Light Distrikt is about entrepreneurship focused on the cleantech sector. GLD U provides cleantech courses . Edited by Chris Williams with frequent guest posts from friends, experts and industry insiders from clusters across the globe. Our goal is to provide a place where cleantech entrepreneurs in various clusters across the globe can learn from one another. Green Light Distrikt is creating the "Hitchikers Guide to Clentech" to provide a resource for cleantech entrepreneurs. Read more
- The Worst Metric in Renewables: ‘Payback Period’
- "Solar, Inc." and the Balance of Values
- Top 10 Boston Clean Tech Companies Killing It on Twitter
- Good News For Job Seekers! Mass Solar Industry to Grow 30% per year
- VOTE: Boston's Top 26
- What’s your Opinion? Green Tech VS. Clean Tech VS. ‘EnerTech’?
- What’s Better? Climate Change OR Climate Disruption
- BICEP (3)
- Business Insights (14)
- CleanTech Events (16)
- CleanTech Guide (8)
- CleanTech Kingpins (9)
- EnergyBar (2)
- Entrepreneurship (28)
- For College Students (1)
- GLD U (1)
- Government Policy (39)
- Green Building (8)
- Hitch Hikers Guide to Cleantech (1)
- Industry Insiders (5)
$100 Discounts for Basic Technical TrainingBasic technical training is key for anyone interested in the renewable energy industry. Use the code "GLD" to get discounts from any of the below trainings.
- NABCEP Solar Training Boston This training course is made for people who are new to solar. You’ll learn how to design a solar PV array from a to z, how to quote a project, the installation process, and solar code.
- Solar Sales Training Learn how to sell solar from an expert, Keith Cronin. Keith build and sold his solar company to SunEdison. Keith knows how to sell jobs profitably.
- IGSHPA Geothermal Training The IGSHPA certification is the standard in the industry. In this training, you’ll learn how to design and quote residential and light commercial projects by 1) determining building loading 2) sizing equipment 3) sizing the group loop 4) sizing the distribution system and controls 5) and what sort of equipment so spec in each of the prior steps.
- NABCEP Solar Thermal Training Boot Camp: The solar thermal boot camp is similar to the PV boot camp, but just that it’s based on solar thermal systems.
- Selling Clean Energy to the Government The federal government, and specifically the military, has become the largest single renewable energy customer in the US with a goal of 3GW of installed capacity, among various technologies, by 202.
Other Free ResourcesFree NABCEP Study Guide If you’re studying for the NABCEP Solar PV installer or just want an in-depth review of solar basics this will be a good resource for you. If you want to buy the full guide, you can find it here NABCEP Study Guide.
Solar Reading List 101 A useful list of free article on solar sales, marketing, design, installation, policy and finance.
Geothermal Reading List 101 A useful life of free articles on solar sales, marketing, design, installation of projects.
Click here to learn what is NABCEP and wether or not you should need to get the certification. If you're serious about the solar industry and you want to get the NABCEP Certification, but you need to understand how exactly to apply, you can read more about getting the NABCEP Certification here.
October 18th, 2010
Inspired by the growing trend in Social entrepreneurship across industries, states are passing legislation allowing for new and alternative corporate structures. The L3C has been growing in popularity and now we are starting to see “benefit corporation” legislation. This legislation is inspired by the B-corp certification.
Maryland was the first to pass the law. They aren’t enforcing all of the considerations and requirements that a B-corp certification does (social, environmental, economic), but rather, the legislation allows for-profit companies to specify that they exist for a specific public good. The company is then required to report on contributions to that goal and conduct audits regarding the company’s actual impact. The legislation allows a company to consider stake-holders in the business other than the shareholders, including their employees or local environments.
Social Entrepreneurship is On the Rise
Vermont is also considering passing a similar Bill.
This legislation is ground breaking, since many states have legislation and years of case law interpretation that prevent businesses from fully complying/benefitting from B-corp certification. The creation of L3Cs and Benefit Corporations show a cognizance by our local governments that social entrepreneurship is on the rise, that a well rounded company will take a well rounded approach to their decision making, and that you can do good and make money. Take that Gordon Gekko!
Will Companies Exist for More Then Profit?
California is currently considering a bill that would create “flexible-purpose corporations” which would allow companies to state a particular social or environmental good. This would formalize their mission and emphasize purpose over profits. The legislation would allow board members to feel secure in having met their fiduciary duties if, by acting in the “best interests of the corporation” they fulfill the mission but make less money.
Other benefits of the this legislation allow founders to sell the company and maintain the business purpose in the transfer. Non-profits can convert and gain access to all new funding and revenue streams. For those non-profits that are making too much revenue, conversion to a “flexible-purpose corporation” would eliminate potential tax and legal issues.
How Will These New Legal Entities Fit Together?
So the question is, can the L3C, benefit corporation, and flexible purpose corporation coincide? Do each of these entities serve a separate function or are we creating a big tangled mess of conflicting and non-reciprocal legislation? Most importantly, if there is a stand-off, which one has the secret ingredient that will reign supreme?
Photo Courtsey: Axel Bührmann
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.